If you've never tried cocoa vinaigrette before you'll be amazed at how well cocoa powder works in a savory setting. The dressing can be made up to two days ahead. Simply toast the nuts, slice the oranges, toss with the greens and serve.
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest (from navel oranges used in salad)
- 1 tsp whole grain or dijon style mustard
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 small navel oranges (save skins for zest)
- 4 cups mixed baby greens or mesclun mix
- 4 cups leaf lettuce or romaine
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients, except for oil, until well blended. Whisk in oil until well blended. Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours before serving.
- Toast walnuts in a flat tray in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Remove skin and rind from oranges, slice oranges thinly or divide into sections. Toss baby greens and lettuce together, divide among 8 plates.
- Top with orange sections and onion rings. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Calories 80kcal 4%
- Fat 4.6g 7%
- Saturated fat 0.6g 3%
- Carbs 9.3g 3%
- Sodium 34mg 1%
- 4.8g sugar
- 2.3g fiber
- 2.0g protein
- 0mg cholesterol