Baking this colorful, Instagram-worthy cake in your Instant Pot instead of the oven keeps your kitchen cool. Its 6-inch size makes it perfect for smaller family celebrations.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles, plus more for decorating
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- ¾ cup vanilla frosting
- Grease a 6-inch (1½-inch tall) cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper. Grease paper. Grease a medium-size sheet of foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined (do not overmix). Spread batter in even layer in prepared pan. Tightly cover top of pan with prepared foil, greased-side down.
- To Instant Pot, add wire rack/trivet with handles up (to remove cake later) and the hot water. Carefully lower cake pan onto rack. Seal and cook on normal level steam setting 32 min.
- When the cook time is up, do a quick release of pressure. Open Instant Pot and remove cake. Pull back foil and insert skewer or toothpick into center of cake to check for doneness. If cake is underdone, cover with foil again and return to Instant Pot. Seal and steam another 5 min. Do a quick release of pressure.
- Remove cake pan from Instant Pot and uncover. Let cake cool on wire rack 10 min. With butter knife, loosen edges of cake from pan. Invert cake from pan, remove parchment, and let cool completely on wire rack. To serve, spread the frosting on top and sides and decorate with additional sprinkles, if desired.
For easier removal of the cake pan from the Instant Pot, create a sling by folding a 10-inch-long sheet of foil into a 4-inch-wide strip. Arrange foil strip on wire rack so that when cake pan is placed on top, tips of foil strip stand up along sides. When cake is cooked, use tips of foil strip to lift pan out of Instant Pot.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- April 2021
- Calories 288kcal 14%
- Fat 10.6g 16%
- Saturated fat 1.6g 8%
- Carbs 43.6g 15%
- Sodium 207mg 9%
- 30.3g sugar
- 0.4g fiber
- 3.2g protein
- 42mg cholesterol