This affordable vegetarian dinner features plant-based protein in the form of lentils and fill-you-up fiber from the whole-grain brown rice.
- ½ cup dry lentils, picked over
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 1 ½ lbs each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (8.8 oz) pkg precooked Nature's Promise Whole Grain Brown Rice
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a medium pot, combine the lentils and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer 15–20 min., until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, halve each squash lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Trim a very thin slice from curved sides of squash halves to sit flat, cavity-sides up. Brush cut sides with the oil. Arrange cut-sides down on a large sheet pan. Roast 20 min., until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Break up the brown rice in package (do not follow heating instructions) and place in a large bowl along with cooked lentils, Parmesan, zucchini, shallot, garlic powder, thyme, and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Turn squash cavity-sides up. Season cavities with a pinch of salt. Spoon lentil mixture into cavities, packing tightly. Return to oven and bake 15 min.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- Guiding Stars
- February March 2021
- Egg Free