Dark meat chicken remains juicy in this simple fried rice that amps up the nutrition and protein by including brown rice and eggs.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 medium bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from chicken thighs. Cut chicken meat from bones and chop into ¼-inch pieces.
- In a wide medium pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the broccoli. Cook 6–8 min., until broccoli is almost tender, stirring often. Add the green onions and cook 2 min., stirring often.
- To same pot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 min., until chicken is cooked through. Add the eggs and cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Stir in the cooked rice. Cook 2 min., until well combined, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Don’t toss those broccoli stems! Cut the tough peel away from stems and discard. Chop the remaining stems and use along with florets.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- Wheat Free
- guiding star
- January 2021
- Lactose Free