Your family will swoon over these irresistibly fluffy rolls that are perfect for a special occasion or even a weekend dinner.
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast or 1 (¼ oz) packet
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- Flaky sea salt (optional)
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Add 3 tbsp butter. Microwave in 10-sec. intervals, until warm to the touch. Brush inside of a large bowl with 1 tbsp oil; set aside.
- In a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, mix the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and potato flakes. Mix in milk mixture on medium-low 5–6 min., until dough forms a ball around hook, scraping down if needed.
- On a clean work surface, knead dough until it is smooth and springs back when pressed, about 3–4 min. Transfer dough ball to greased bowl. Roll dough around to grease lightly. Cover with plastic. Let rise in warm spot 1–1½ hours, until dough has almost doubled in volume.
- Brush a clean work surface and a 9x13-inch baking pan with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Transfer dough to work surface and divide into quarters with knife or bench scraper. Divide each quarter into 4 equal-sized pieces (for a total of 16). Working with 1 dough piece at a time, shape into rough ball, tucking ends underneath. Roll in palm of hand to form smooth top and place in pan, spacing evenly. Cover pan with plastic and let rise in warm spot 1–1½ hours, until rolls have puffed and are touching.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt remaining 3 tbsp butter and brush over tops of rolls. Bake 25–30 min., until golden brown and set. Loosen edges of rolls from pan with butter knife. Gently remove rolls with spatula. Just before serving, brush rolls with any remaining melted butter and sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if using. Serve warm.
To make ahead, bake all the way through, cool completely (without brushing with last coating of butter), and freeze up to 1 week. Thirty minutes before ready to serve, place rolls in an empty baking pan, loosely cover with foil, and reheat in 325°F oven 20 min., until warm. Brush with melted butter just before serving.
This recipe is
- Nut Free
- December 2020
- Calories 282kcal 14%
- Fat 7.7g 12%
- Saturated fat 3.4g 17%
- Carbs 45.3g 15%
- Sodium 207mg 9%
- 3.9g sugar
- 2.0g fiber
- 7.5g protein
- 24mg cholesterol