These are the roasted potatoes of your dreams—fluffy insides surrounded by crunchy golden edges. Serve for a special occasion, holiday dinner, or just an extra-special weeknight meal.
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½" chunks
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 5 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- ½ lemon
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- To a large pot, add the potatoes and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Season generously with salt and stir in the baking soda. Partially cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 8–10 min., until a knife pierces most of the way through but potatoes are not fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, combine the oil and garlic cloves. Heat on medium-low until garlic is golden brown. Remove and discard garlic cloves. Reserve oil.
- Drain potatoes well and return to same pot to let dry 1 min. Transfer potatoes and oil to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. With a spatula, toss and shake potatoes to coat until pasty mash covers outside of potato chunks. Transfer to lined baking sheet and spread out in even single layer, spacing slightly apart.
- Roast potatoes 20 min. With thin spatula, turn potatoes over. Roast another 25–35 min., until well browned and crispy, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and season with salt to taste. Transfer to serving platter and squeeze juice from the lemon over potatoes. Garnish with the chives. Serve immediately.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- In Season
- gluten free
- Five Ingredients
- December 2020
- Guiding Stars
- Wheat Free
- 5 ingredients
- Egg Free
- Nut Free
- Lactose Free