Ketchup and cider vinegar bring sweetness and tang to this fork-tender brisket. Accompanied by carrots and parsnips, it’s the perfect centerpiece of your Chanukah meal.
- 1 (3 lb) flat-cut beef brisket
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 lbs carrots, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 ½ lbs combination of parsnips and/or rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 lb onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large rosemary sprigs
- Finely chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Rub the brisket with the paprika. Season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, ketchup, vinegar, and ½ cup water.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the brisket and cook 5 min. per side, until browned on both sides. Transfer to a deep roasting pan. Reduce skillet heat to medium.
- To same skillet, add the carrots, parsnips, and/ or rutabagas. Cook 4–5 min., until beginning to brown, stirring often. Transfer to roasting pan.
- To same skillet on medium heat, add the onions and garlic. Cook 3–4 min., until browned, stirring often. Stir in ketchup mixture, scraping up any browned bits. Scrape contents of skillet into roasting pan. To roasting pan, add the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs.
- Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake 3½–4 hours, until brisket is fork-tender but not falling apart. Remove and discard bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let stand 15 min.
- Meanwhile, skim any excess fat from cooking liquid. Season vegetables and cooking liquid with salt to taste. Thinly slice brisket against the grain and arrange on large serving platter. Spoon vegetables and cooking liquid on top. Garnish with the parsley, if desired.
This recipe is
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- gluten free
- December 2020
- Guiding Stars
- Wheat Free
- Lactose Free
- Egg Free
- Calories 520kcal 26%
- Fat 26.0g 40%
- Saturated fat 9.0g 45%
- Carbs 35.0g 12%
- Sodium 237mg 10%
- 16.0g sugar
- 8.0g fiber
- 38.0g protein
- 124mg cholesterol
What is Guiding Stars?