Fresh cooked green beans, mushrooms and onions are tossed with a light cream sauce. Topping with almonds and crushed croutons gives this holiday standard recipe a better-for-you twist.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cups coarsely chopped baby bella or crimini mushroom
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 oz ⅓ less fat cream cheese (Neufachatel)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- ½ cup finely crushed croutons
- ½ cup Mariani sliced almonds, toasted
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more or until mushrooms are nicely browned.
- Slowly stir in broth, cream cheese, thyme and salt, stirring until cheese is melted. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in pepper.
- Steam green beans for 3 minutes. Drain well then stir into mushroom sauce. Cook for several minutes more or until crisp-tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with crushed croutons and almonds.
Recipe provided by Mariani
- guiding star