Recipe provided by Mariani
- 1 ⅓ cups apple cider or juice
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 ½ lbs yams, peeled and sliced ½-inch thick
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup Mariani Sliced Almonds
- Cook apple cider or apple juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until it's reduced by half.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch square or 11 X 7-inch baking dish. Place sweet potatoes, yams and reduced cider in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked through, stirring once halfway through cooking. Let cool slightly, then scoop into prepared baking dish with a slotted spoon.
- Stir together any apple cider left in the bowl with the maple syrup, butter and cinnamon. Drizzle over yams and sprinkle with ginger.
- Tent loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 15 minutes more or until almonds are toasted and liquid is thickened and syrupy. Tent again with foil and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Partially cooking the sweet potatoes and yams in the microwave cuts down the baking time considerably. Choose sweet potatoes and yams that are about the same size for even cooking.
- sweet potatoes
- guiding star
- sliced almonds