This free-form tart with a rich layer of almond paste is an effortless yet elegant dessert, making it great for entertaining. Serve with vanilla ice cream to take it to the next level.
- ¼ cup loosely packed basil leaves, plus more to garnish
- 3 (6 oz) pkgs blackberries
- 4 tbsp sugar, divided
- ¼ cup almond paste
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thinly slice the basil. In a medium bowl, gently combine the basil, blackberries, and 2 tbsp sugar.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the almond paste, remaining 2 tbsp sugar, and butter until smooth. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth.
- Unroll pie crust onto parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Spread almond paste mixture onto center of crust, spreading until 2½ inches from edge. Top with blackberry mixture. Fold crust edges over filling. Bake 20–25 min., until crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 min. before serving. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.
Make sure not to confuse almond paste and marzipan, which are both almond-based but with very different consistencies.
- In Season
- July August 2022
- June 2019