A hearty meat sauce doesn’t have to simmer all day. This easy ragu gets fast flavor from garlic and onions and an extra veggie boost from grated zucchini.
- 1 lb fusilli pasta
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a boil on high. Cook the fusilli according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, on the largest holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini.
- In a large pot, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the beef, garlic, onion, and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5–7 min., until beef is mostly browned and zucchini is tender, breaking up beef with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Cover and heat to a boil on high. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 8 min., stirring occasionally. Season with salt to taste. Toss fusilli with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan to serve.
- May 2019
- Guiding Stars