Put both the whites and yolks of eggs to work in these little pies that feature fluffy, toasted meringue and sweet-tart lemon curd.
- 2- 3 lemons
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cut up
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (4 oz) pkg mini graham cracker pie crusts
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. From the lemons, grate 2 tsp zest and squeeze ½ cup juice. Into 2 bowls, separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- In a heavy-bottom medium saucepan, combine the butter, ¾ cup sugar, lemon juice and zest, and pinch of salt. Heat on medium-low. Cook 3–5 min., until butter melts, whisking to combine. Whisk in the yolks until smooth. Cook 10 min., stirring and scraping bottom of pan constantly, until thickened and curd coats the back of a spoon.
- Through fine-mesh strainer, strain curd into medium bowl, pushing through with spatula. Divide curd among the pie crusts, smoothing tops.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread or pipe meringue all over pie fillings, making sure to cover surface of curd completely. Place pies on a large baking sheet and bake 20 min., until golden brown.
- S3 2019
- Calories 496kcal 25%
- Fat 26.6g 41%
- Saturated fat 12.8g 64%
- Carbs 56.5g 19%
- Sodium 189mg 8%
- 45.8g sugar
- 1.0g fiber
- 9.9g protein
- 294mg cholesterol