Everyone loves chili on game day! This slow cooker version is spicy and smoky from the chipotles, which is just another name for smoked jalapeños.
- 2 lb boneless chuck roast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 chipotle in adobo
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans
- Cut the beef into 1-inch cubes, trimming and discarding any larger pieces of fat. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high. Add beef and cook 8 min., until golden brown, turning pieces over halfway through. Chop the onion. Seed and finely chop the bell pepper.
- Transfer meat to the slow cooker. To same skillet, add onion and bell pepper. Cook 3–4 min., stirring occasionally. Add vegetables to slow cooker along with the broth, tomatoes, garlic powder, and cumin. Chop the chipotles and drain the beans. Stir both into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours, until beef is tender.
Serve over cooked rice to serve an even bigger crowd. Garnish with Cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, or cilantro.
- January 2018